Watch The Queasy Moment an Abnormally Large Parasite Is Extracted from a Poor Kitten’s Nose
Animals are very susceptible to parasites and bacteria getting into their system. But while many are afflicted with the usual parasites that can be treated with pet medication, some aren’t so lucky. One little kitten became a viral sensation recently and all for the wrong reasons. The poor thing was infected with a huge parasite stuck up its nose and if you have a stomach for queasy things, then you may want to watch while you gasp as a vet pulls out the horrible thing from its tiny nostril.
1Video footage was captured of botfly lava being extracted from a kitten’s nose
Video footage captured in November from a vet’s office in North Carolina showed the horrifying moment of huge botfly lava getting extracted from the kitten’s tiny nostril. The kitty was only 8 weeks old. The vet needed to use surgical forceps to remove the parasite from the nose of the kitten to reveal the large ugly botfly lava.
2The kitten was suffering from nasal discharge
The kitten was brought to the Animal Care East Veterinary hospital in Winterville suffering from chronic nasal discharge. It had been sneezing a lot and suffered a constant dripping nose. While others may have thought it had severe cold, the vet understood the real problem. They sedated the kitten and after investigating was surprised to see a larger than usual bot fly lava stuck in its nose. It was abnormally large.
2Once the lava was extracted, the kitten’s condition improved
The person filming the video said “Usually they are only roughly a centimeter or so in length and found burrowed into the skin – this was the largest one I have ever seen… and it was in the nose! The kitten is back to better now with no concerns reported by the owner; no more discharge, no more sneezing.”
3It is a common occurrence
The parasite in question belongs to the cuterebra genus and was in the larval stage of botfly. It is not uncommon for the insect to lay its eggs in animals or the burrows of animals where it may get picked up by critters. Dogs and cats also may pick up such eggs when they sniff around outdoors or near the areas where the eggs are laid. Humans too can be infected with the lava an there have been some documented cases too.